How to update information on site
Please notice that from 25/10/2015 accessibility low forbids creating new web pages that are not accessible. Please contact system (using helpdesk) for help if you have problems updating your info.
Some of the information can be updated by you, while other requires contacting one of the persons in charge of the site. In case you make changes yourself, allow up to 20 minutes for them to show on site.
The following describes the actions needed to update each of the site's sections:
- Personal Information
- Personal Picture
- Personal Research Areas / Interests
- Personal Publications List
- Course Name in Courses List
- Course Web Site Address in Courses List
- News on Main Page
- Main Page Rotating Pictures
- M.Sc. and Ph.D. Seminars
- Job offers
To change personal information such as name, office, phone, email, office hours and advisor, contact Rivka Zur (rivkaz@cs)
To add/change a picture of yourself, follow these steps:
- Put your photo file in
- Make sure this file is world-readable, by typing
chmod a+x ~ ~/.www
chmod a+r ~/.www/my_web_picture.jpg
You can alternatively send your picture file to Rivka Zur (rivkazcs).
Personal Research Areas / Interests
To be added/removed from a research area group, or to change your personal research interests, contact Rivka Zur (rivkazcs).
To change your personal research interests yourself, follow these steps:
- Put a utf8 encoded text/html file containing your research interests in
- Make sure these files are world-readable, by typing
chmod a+r ~/.www/research_interests*.txt
Personal Publications List
To immediately add/change your list of publications as appears on the standard faculty page, follow these steps:
- Put a bibtex file at
- OR -
Put a text/html file at
It is highly recommended to put bibtex file, it frees you from the need to format the list, and allows you to include links to your papers online (next step)
- If you did not use bibtex in step 1, skip this step.
When using bibtex, you may put electronic versions of your papers by just putting files named <key>.pdf, <key>.ps, <key>.ps.gz or <key>.ps.Z under
~/.www/publications/. Where <key> is the bibtex entry key, such as
- Make the publications dir readable by typing
chmod -R a+rx ~/.www/publications
You can alternatively send your bibtex, or text file to Rivka Zur (rivkazcs).
Course Name in Courses List
To change your course name as appears on site, contact Hadas Heier (heiercs).
Course Web Site Address in Courses List
The system automatically scans the network every hour to find new courses. It is configured to find sites with postfix of
~ct, as well as WebCourse sites. Thus, many times all you have to do is just wait an hour, and your site will be automatically linked.
Detailed info about sites for the course:
The system checks the following URLs (in this order of priority) for the course for previous, current and next semesters:
COURSE# is course number (236XXX, etc.).
SEMESTER-NAME is: Summer20xx, Spring20xx, Winter20xx (The same as in webcourse).
20xx - is the year of the semester that the course is given.
For ~csCOURSE# page, you need to create a subdir with name SEMESTER-NAME under .www/ directory.
In that dir, create file index.html, and put your page there.
Example: Create web page in ~csCOURSE# for course 236999, semester summer 2013:
- Login into user cs236999 (if you dont have an account for the course, please open Helpdesk request).
- Create the file ~cs236999/.www/Summer2013/index.html .
- Make sure it has read access to everyone: chmod -R a+rX ~cs236999/.www/Summer2013/
- This will create home link to http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~cs236999/Summer2013     which will display index.html there.
- If you want other url address than the above, you can redirect to it in the index.html file with html '"HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH"' (search web for '"html redirect"', for help).
If you want other url address than the above, or you wish to change it from any other reason (for current semester only), and not use the above redirect option, please contact Hadas Heier (heiercs).
If you want other url address than the above, for other semster that current, please contact bracha@cs .
Please notice that the link from UG site is redirected to WebCouse site if no course site exist or specified.
News on Main Page
If you have some exciting news you wish to publish on the main page, prepare the following:
- A one line title
- Full text of the news item
- [optional] News picture
- [optional] Additional photos (to be presented as a photo gallery)
- [optional] Documents to attach to the item
and send to Rivka Zur (rivkazcs).
To publish an announcement, send a one line title and text, to Rivka Zur (rivkazcs).
Main Page Rotating Pictures
To add a picture to the pool of rotating pictures, send this information:
- Picture file (.jpg or .gif)
- One line descriptive title
- [optional] link (url)
to Shaul Markovitch (shaulmcs).
M.Sc. and Ph.D. Seminars
To have your seminar published in the announcements section of the site and sent to the mailing list:
- Download and edit this template. Keep special attention to the time and place format (leave them in the exact format as in the template). Also note that all fields except 'Abstract' must be on a single line. Edit with simple editor: vi,Emacs,Notepad, not MS-Word, for example.
- Save it in your csd account in a file called
~/.www/phd_seminar, depending on the occasion (notice that this should be a file - not a directory). You can have only one seminar file at a time.
- Make sure it is readable by executing
chmod a+r ~/.www/msc_seminar ; chmod a+x ~/. ~/.www
chmod a+r ~/.www/phd_seminar ; chmod a+x ~/. ~/.www
Note: an email announcing your seminar will automatically be sent to the CS-GRAD-SEMINARS-L list 72 hours before the event, and you will be CCed. For PH.D. seminars, an announcing email will also be sent 14 days before the event. The announcement will appear in the faculty home page events within up to 1 hour. Please make sure it does. If it does not, check the format of the file, and the file and directory permissions. For more information and solutions to problems please consult How to Distribute Information on a Seminar for M.Sc., Ph.D., or Direct Track?. You can contact Rivka Zur (rivkaz@cs) for more help.
To have your job offerings published at the site:
- Send the job description to Rivka Zur (rivkazcs). Give a job title, a short description, and contact information. Remember to call Rivka again when the job expires.