I completed my Ph.D. studies in the Computer Scienc Department of the Technion - Israel Institute of Technology. Then, did a post-doc at UMBC and back at the Technion. Previously I did my B.A. in computer science at the Technion and then worked for several years with Amdocs and Chip-Express.
My research spans three main areas:
- Data mining in large-scale distributed systems, e.g., peer-to-peer and sensor networks or grid systems.
- Privacy preservation in data mining.
- Distributed information systems and their management.
Papers in Refereed Journals
- A. Schuster, and R. Wolff, Communication-Efficient Distributed Mining of Association Rules, Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, Volume 8, Issue 2, Mar 2004.
- A. Schuster, R. Wolff, and D. Trock, A High-Performance Distributed Algorithm for Mining Association Rules. Knowledge And Information Systems (KAIS) Journal, Volume 7, Number 4, May 2005.
- R. Wolff and A. Schuster, Association Rule Mining in Peer-to-Peer Systems. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics - Part B, Volume 34, Issue 6, Dec. 2004.
- A. Bar-Or, A. Schuster, R. Wolff, and D. Keren, Hierarchical Decision Tree Induction in Distributed Genomic Databases. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), Volume 17, Issue 8, Aug. 2005.
- D. Krivitski, A. Schuster, and R. Wolff, A Local Facility Location Algorithm for Large-Scale Distributed Systems. Accepted (minor revision) Journal of Grid Computing, 2006
- S. Datta, K. Bhaduri, C. Giannella, R. Wolff, and H. Kargupta, Distributed Data Mining in Peer-to-Peer Networks, Accepted IEEE Internet Computing, 2006
- A. Friedman, R. Wolff, and A. Schuster, Providing k-Anonymity in Data Mining, Accepted for Journal of VLDB, 2006
Papers in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- A. Schuster and Ran Wolff, Communication-efficient Distributed Mining of Association Rules. Proceedings of ACM-SIGMOD`01, Santa Barbara, California, May 2001.
- R. Wolff and A. Schuster, Association Rule Mining in Peer-to-Peer Systems. Proceedings of ICDM`03, Melbourne, Florida, November 2003.
- A. Schuster, R. Wolff, and D. Trock, A High-Performance Distributed Algorithm for Mining Association Rules. Proceedings of ICDM`03. Melbourne, Florida, November 2003.
- A. Schuster, R. Wolff, and B. Gilburd, Privacy-Preserving Association Rule Mining in Large-Scale Distributed Systems. Proceedings of CCGRID`04, Chicago, Illinois, April, 2004
- B. Gilburd, A. Schuster, and R. Wolff, Privacy-Preserving Data Mining on Data Grids in the presence of Malicious Participants. Proceedings of HPDC`04, Honolulu, Hawaii, June, 2004
- B. Gilburd, A. Schuster, and R. Wolff, k-TTP: A New Privacy Model for Large-Scale Distributed Environments. Proceedings of ACM-SIGKDD`04, Seattle, August, 2004
- L. Liss, Y. Birk, R. Wolff, and A. Schuster, A Local Algorithm for Ad Hoc Majority Voting Via Charge Fusion. Proceedings of DISC'04, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, October, 2004
- A. Bar-Or, A. Schuster, R. Wolff, and D. Keren, Hierarchical Decision Tree Induction in Distributed Genomic Databases. Proceedings of SDM'05, Newport Beach, CA, April, 2005.
- C. Elster, D. Raz, and R. Wolff, Autonomous End to End QoS Monitoring. In Proceedings of IEEE/IFIP Workshop on End to End Monitoring Techniques and Services, Nice, France, May, 2005
- D. Krivitski, A. Schuster, and R.Wolff, A Local Facility Location Algorithm for Sensor Networks. Proceedings of DCOSS'05, Marina del Rey, CA, June-July, 2005.
- R. Wolff, K. Bhaduri, and H. Kargupta, Local L2-Thresholding Based Data Mining in Peer-to-Peer Systems. Proceedings of SDM'06.
- J. Branch, B. Szymanski, C. Gionnella, R. Wolff, and H. Kargupta, In-Network Outlier Detection in Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems ICDCS'06.
- Y. Birk, I. Keidar, L. Liss, A. Schuster, and R. Wolff, Veracity Radius - Capturing the Locality of Distributed Computations. PODC'06
- N. Palatin, A. Leizarowitz, A. Schuster and Ran Wolff, Mining for Misconfigured Machines in Grid Systems, Proceedings of KDD'06
Co-Chair of DM-Grid'04 - a workshop on Data Mining and the Grid, in conjunction with ICDM 2004
PC Member of HPDM'05 - 8th International Workshop on High Performance and Distributed Mining, in conjunction with SDM 2005
PC Member of KDD'05 - The Eleventh ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
PC Member of ICDM'05 and ICDM'06 - IEEE International Conference on Data Mining
PC Member of LifeDDM - International Workshop on Distributed Data Mining in Life Science
Member of the EU - Data Mining Grid Project
Working group leader for the Ubiquitous Technologies WG of KDubiq
Winter 2006/07 I teach the Data Communication course.
Spring 2007 I am going to teach an advanced course in Distributed Information Systems.