This page is intended to be a growing collection of pieces of advice.
- How to Pick Your Grad School by Tim Dettmers
Student Perspectives on Applying to NLP PhD Programs by Akari Asai and many others
- Stuart Shieber’s post on three styles of writing a paper
- Chris Dyer’s writing advice
- Philip Resnik’s writing advice
- Jordan Boyd-Graber has a bunch of useful style advice, including this gem on writing equations. Some of the style preferences are idiomatic.
- A guide to typesetting math in NLP papers by Chris Dyer, Kevin Gimpel, and Noah Smith.
- Jason Eisner has a bunch of useful advice
- How to write rebuttals by Devi Parikh, Dhruv Batra, and Stefan Lee.
- The CVPR tutorial on how to write a good review has useful advice on writing papers, reviews, and rebuttals.
Tips for PhD research work by Sebastian Ruder, including pointers to other advice.
- A guide on informal communication in an all-remote environment by GitLab
- Advice on remote instructions from Harvard